In serviced areas, the Township of Severn transports wastewater from your home through the sanitary sewer system to wastewater treatment facilities.

What should I do if I have a clogged pipe?

You're responsible for the maintenance of pipes that run from your home to the main sanitary sewer system. If there's a clog in the sewer pipes on your property, you need to contact a plumber to remove the clog.

Most basic insurance policies don't cover sewer and drainage backups. You may need to buy more coverage or pay for the maintenance yourself. Contact your insurance provider to see if you're covered.

Preventing backups

Grease and debris that enter the sanitary sewer system can cause serious blockages that may damage the system. Here are some things you can do to keep the sanitary system clear:

  • never pour grease down sink drains or flush it down the toilet
  • let grease cool and then scrape it into your green bin
  • place a strainer in your sink to catch food scraps and other solids before they go down the drain
  • put a waste bin in your bathroom for all non-flushable waste

The following items should be disposed of in your green bin or garbage. Don't flush them down the toilet or drain. Use the waste wizard tool to find out how to dispose of these items:

  • cooking grease or oil
  • food debris
  • diapers, baby wipes or cleaning cloths
  • flushable wipes
  • feminine hygiene products (including pads, tampons and applicators)
  • dental floss
  • hair
  • paper towels
  • facial tissues (e.g. Kleenex)
  • bandages (e.g. BAND-AID)
  • cotton swabs (e.g. Q-tips)
  • toothpicks
  • straws
  • condoms
  • plastics
  • rags
  • dirt, rocks or stone
  • kitty litter
  • household hazardous waste or chemicals
  • water from the sump pump