You need a fence around any swimming pool on your property. In order to put up a pool enclosure fence, you need to apply for a pool fence permit. Pool fences are regulated by Township of Severn's Pool Fence By-law.

Apply for a pool fence permit

Please contact us for a copy of the application. We're happy to provide you with the application form and submission instructions.

Application details

Please include the following information with your application:

  • property owner's name and address
  • contact information
  • site plan (view a sample site plan)
  • pool width, length and depth
  • pool type (in ground, above ground, inflatable)
  • fence height and type
  • whether or not there are overhead wires


The cost to apply for a pool fence permit is $173.

Fees are indexed on January 1 of each year.

Fence and gate guidelines

Depending on the size and depth of your pool, the fence guidelines change:

  • if your pool is less than 1.2 m in depth, the fence must be a minimum of 1.2 m in height measured from the grade anywhere at the bottom of the fence to the top
  • if your pool is 1.2 m or deeper, the fence must be a minimum of 1.5 m in height measured from the grade anywhere at the bottom of the fence to the top

The fence must also meet the following guidelines:

  • there shall be no opening in the fence that is larger than 100 mm
  • the fence shall be constructed of such material in and in such a manner as to not facilitate the climbing of the fence
  • the fence should completely encompass the pool (walls of a building may substitute a portion of the fence as long as the fence is affixed to the building)
  • no fence shall be closer than 1.5 m to the edge of the swimming pool

Make sure that the fence meets the following gate guidelines:

  • any opening in the fence, provided for passage through the fence shall be protected by a gate
  • gates should have a lock that requires a key or special knowledge to open
  • gates shall be closed and locked at all times (except when the fenced in area is being used by the property owner, lessee, tenant or other authorized person)