Annual property taxes

If you own a property in Severn, you will need to pay annual property taxes.

Learn how to:

Supplementary or omitted tax bills

Supplementary and omitted tax bills are issued based on a change in the value of your property. This value is determined by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC).

You may receive a supplementary or omitted tax bill if you:

  • build a new house
  • build an addition on your current house
  • build a deck, shed or other permitted structure on you property

Supplementary bills are for the current year. Omitted bills are for previous years.

Due dates and payment options for supplementary or omitted tax bills

Due dates for supplementary and omitted tax bills will be indicated on your bill. You can pay your bill by any of the payment methods available for regular tax bills, but adjustments will be required if you are enrolled in a payment plan. Contact our Taxation Officer for any questions regarding the payment of supplementary and omitted bills if you are enrolled in our pre-authorized payment plan.

If you disagree with your supplementary or omitted tax bill, please contact MPAC. The bills are issued as a result of changes in your property value as assessed by MPAC. We recommend that you pay your bill by the due date to avoid any late fees or penalties. 

2023 tax rates

Tax rates vary depending on the category of your building or property. For a summary of the 2023 tax rates you can view the Tax Rate By-law

2022 tax rates

We use the current year's property assessment and the tax rate to calculate your property taxes. 

For example:

  • (Your property assessment) x (tax rate) = your annual property taxes
  •  ($400,000) x (0.00871815) = $3,4872.60 annual property taxes (based on a residential assessment)

Learn more about how we get your property assessment and your tax rate by viewing our Tax By-law

 View the 2022 tax rates per property class

Property classTownship of Severn Police servicesCounty of SimcoeEducationTotal
Residential or farm  0.00368618   0.00071163   0.00279034   0.00153000 0.00871815
Residential or undeveloped farmland 0.00276464 0.00053372 0.00209276 0.00114750 0.00653862
Multi-residential  0.00368618 0.00071163 0.00279034 0.00153000 0.00871815

Commercial, shopping centre and new construction (occupied and vacant)

0.00450562 0.00086983 0.00341063 0.00880000 0.01758608
Commercial payments in lieu (occupied and vacant) 0.00450562 0.00086983 0.00341063 0.00980000 0.01858608

Industrial and new construction (occupied and vacant)

0.00439577 0.00084862 0.00332748 0.00880000 0.01737187
Industrial payments in lieu (occupied and vacant) 0.00439577 0.00084862 0.00332748 0.01250000 0.02107187
Pipelines 0.0047795 0.0009227 0.00361795 0.00880000 0.01812015

Farm and managed forest tax incentive programs

0.00092155 0.00017791 0.00069759 0.00038250 0.00217955
Railway row 110/acre n/a n/a 74.12/acre 184.12/acre
Utility transmissions 19.94/acre n/a n/a  34.39/acre 54.33/acre

Where do my tax dollars go? 

For every dollar that you pay in property taxes, only 42 cents goes to the Township of Severn. The rest of the money goes to police services, education, and the County of Simcoe.  We work to ensure that the portion of your taxes that goes to the Township is put toward important services and infrastructure that help keep Severn a wonderful place to live, work, and play.

Here are some examples:

  • parks and recreation
  • planning and development
  • roads and bridge maintenance
  • public library
  • protection to persons and property
  • general government operations

View our annual Budget and Financial Statements to learn more. The chart below shows the services for tax dollars on an average home assessed at $340,000. 

 Chart which shows the services for tax dollars in 2022


Tax sale properties

According to the Municipal Act, if property taxes aren't paid for two years, we can issue a tax arrears certificate. This certificate states that we can sell the property if taxes, penalties, interest and legal costs aren't paid within one year of registering the certificate.

View current tax sale properties

Letter of authorization

As a property owner, you'll need a letter of authorization if you'd like us to release your property tax information to a third party, such as a spouse or family member not named as the property owner. 

Complete the Letter of Authorization