You need to complete and submit a building permit application in order to build a dock, boathouse, boat-port or other shoreline structures on your property. Shoreline structures are regulated by the Township's Zoning By-law.

Before you apply

If your property is part of the Trent-Severn Waterway, you'll need to get a Trent-Severn Waterway permit through Parks Canada before applying to the Township of Severn. Please include your Trent-Severn Waterway permit along with your building permit application.

If you property is outside of the Trent-Severn Waterway, it may still require a work permit from the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry (MNDMF).   To see if you need a permit from MNDMF please review the requirements  for Crown land work permits. Please include your Crown land work permit along with your building permit application when applicable.


Building permit fees vary depending on the scope of your building or renovation project. We will calculate all building permit fees after reviewing the application. You will not be issued a building permit until you have paid all permit fees.

Building permit checklist

Please make sure to include the following information with your building permit application: