If you'd like to put up a temporary tent for a wedding, family reunion or large outdoor party, you may need a tent permit. A tent permit is required as per the Ontario Building Code (OBC) for tents that are 60 square metres (646 square feet) in ground area or greater (including multiple tents).  The OBC prescribes minimum fire and life safety requirements specific for tents and special events.

These requirements help to:

  • ensure the safety of all attendees and organizers
  • minimize any unwanted impacts on the community
  • protect property and infrastructure

Before you get started

Our Event Tent Guide includes the information you need to complete your permit application. 

Event Tent Guide: How to apply for an event tent permit

You will also be required to submit the following forms:

As per the OBC, if a tent exceeds an area greater than 225 square metres (2421 square feet) the installation of the tent requires inspection by a Professional Engineer.

Apply for a permit

Applications must be received at least three weeks prior to the event. 

Application checklist

You will need to submit the following documents with your permit application.

  • a completed copy of the Event Tent Permit
  • a completed copy of the Intent to Use a Temporary Tent form
  • engineered tent drawings including Certificate of Flame Resistance (this can be obtained from the rental company)
  •  an exterior site plan overview of the property including:
    • the location of the temporary bathroom facilities
    • parking for you and any guests
    • any cooking areas
    • fire extinguishers
    • emergency vehicle access route
    • licensed drinking areas
  •  an interior floor plan including:
    •  seating arrangement
    • aisle width
    • use of all floor areas (dance floor, bar, etc.)
    • location and size of exits
    • location of the side walls (if applicable)
  • Authorization form (only required to be signed by the applicant and the property owner if the owner of the property is not the person applying for or erecting the tent)

All documents can be submitted by email to our Building Department.


The fee for an Event Tent Permit is $128 and can be paid for at the time of permit pick up at our Administration Office (1024 Hurlwood Lane, Severn). We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We accept payments by cash, debit, or cheque (payable to the Township of Severn). We don't accept credit card payments.

Event permits

Depending on the size and scale of your event, you may need to apply for additional event permits. Make sure that you have all of the necessary approvals and permits prior to your event.